Q: Start then stall - 2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Started fine this morning got about 4 miles down the road and engine died. When I go to start it again it starts and then instantly dies.

A: Hey there. This may be related o a few diff...

Hey there. This may be related o a few different things, but is likely related to a fuel delivery issue. Since the car will restart again each time, we know there is not an issue with spark. This may be a sign of a failing idle air control valve.

The idle air control valve is located on or near your intake manifold that monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine. This valve is controlled by the vehicle's computer which will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage.

When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed. However, when the engine RPM drops below the normal range of 800 RPM (for most cars), it is more than likely that you are dealing with an IAC valve problem. In cases where this valve is clogged or is nearing its replacement age, your vehicle will stall instead of idling after the release of the throttle. If you want to have this taken care of, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the stalling problem and proceed with repair.