Q: Stalling & sputtering after rain

hi! my 2001 ford escape has issues sputtering after it rains. I started the engine yesterday - it was sputtering more than usual and when I put it into reverse and drove for a few seconds it stalled, brakes locked up and wouldn't operate any differently after that. I put heet in the full tank thinking it might help but nothing yet. Any suggestions?

The engine spark plugs and spark plug wires on your 2001 Ford Escape are most likely arching to the ground and may need to be replaced. Run the engine with the hood up and listen to see if you hear or see the plug wires arching. They may be misfiring inside the valve covers on some model engines. Typically, it is recommended to replace the plug wires and plugs if there is a misfire occurring. If you want to have this verified before moving forward with repairs, a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can diagnose the sputtering issue and let you know what needs to be done.