Q: Stalling engine, brakes, power steering and transmission failure

asked by on September 26, 2016

The mileage on my car is around 104,000. The engine has been stalling, no matter what speed that I go. Along with the stalling, the brakes and power steering fail. My car also has transmission failure, which in my opinion is the cause of the stalling. When I shift into park, then my car will restart normally. The dealership told me that they could not repair these problems because they discovered electrical problems too. But they stated that the electrical problems are not the cause of the stalling failure. Recently my car glided into a curb because of these problems. Please explain why the dealership will not repair the stalling problem. Thank you.

The stalling may well be caused by a failure of the crankshaft position sensor. This device provides timing instructions for the ignition system. When it fails, the engine no longer gets spark at the spark plugs and stalls. When the car stalls out, the brakes and steering cutting off are typical symptoms that go along with the car shutting off. To have all of this scoped out, a certified professional from YourMechanic can inspect your car for a correct diagnosis of the stalling issue.