Q: Squealing and clicking noise from back part of the car but only when moving forward

asked by on March 31, 2017

Driving into the garage last night after a rain storm I heard a squealing noise and assumed it was just wet brakes. This morning the noise is louder and there is also a clicking noise every few feet I drive. There is no noise when backing up. It sounds like it is coming from the back right part of the car.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The first step is to definitively determine if the noise happens when the vehicle is moving (and it is brake or wheel related), or if the noise happens constantly when the vehicle is running. There may be debris stuck between the rotor and the brake pad, as the space between them while the brakes are off is very small. Wheel weights used for balancing the tires are either clipped or glued to the inside of the wheel, and they may have had issues due to the rain. Locating the noise, and the giving the area a full inspection needs to happen first. If you remove the tire and check the brakes, and there is nothing obviously wrong, then you may want to look into other components in the area. For help with an inspection, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.