Q: Squeaking noise on a 2001 Honda CR-V

01 Honda CR-V. Sometimes, after accelerating, as I let up the accelerator, I hear the car squeak. Is that a warning sign of something major going on with the car?

A: Not necessarily. There are so many things t...

Not necessarily. There are so many things that can cause noises. When you take your foot off the gas, the first thing I’d say would be to go and look under the hood and see if any motor mounts or transmission mounts are weak.

You can jack the engine up a little, move it up, and if you see the motor mounts are cracked. If they are, then replace the mounts. Sometimes, a heat shield on the exhaust can be a little bit loose and that would cause a squeak. You can check that.

But a little squeak generally doesn’t mean anything. You’re obviously worried about it, so I’d try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from before it gets worse. Be sure to look at the heat shield on the exhaust system first, or anything that can break loose and squeak. Generally, it will be something metal that is making the squeaking noise.