Q: Sounded weird when I started it, steering busted

Right when I started it up, I noticed that there was something wrong with my 2006 Kia Sorento. The power steering was nonfunctional and the sound was just… off. I looked under the hood and the fan belt was not moving and looked loose. This car has 76,000 miles on it, will this totally ruin the engine? I want to know what to expect going into this repair.

Hello, thanks for writing in about this problem!

The belt not moving generally indicates that the crank bolt is broken, causing the crank pulley to become loose and the belt to become disengaged. Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) KT20060425001 for 2003-2006 Sorento Crankshaft Bolt Torque Guidelines was released, stating specific bolt handling instructions including hat any time the bolt is loosened or removed it is to be replaced with a new bolt and that bolts should be hand tightened.

Crank bolt failure often occurs after a timing belt adjustment has been done and the bolt is either not replaced or the new bolt is installed and tightened with an impact gun. The part number for a new bolt is 23127 39801 and washer 23126 32021.

The rest of the items behind the crank pulley should be inspected for damage as well, including the timing belt drive gear, crank shaft sensor plate, and the two woodruff keys. If you are already inspecting the items behind the crank pulley, it would also be a good time to check the timing belt and replace it if necessary.

The crankshaft bolt breaking is currently in litigation with a class action law suit, with an outcome yet to be determined.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can diagnose your fan belt problem.

3. Sounded weird when I started it, steering busted