Q: Sound in front of car like rock hiting it

asked by on June 23, 2016

There is an intermediate sound in the front of my car that sounds like a rock is hitting the car. This morning it was very loud and then there were two pops. I don’t notice any pattern of when or why this happens - it’s random. Also, periodically the “coolant is low” warning light comes on. I had this checked and the mechanic didn’t find anything wrong. I’m the original owner and I have always taken very good care of my car, with regular maintenance, oil, brakes, timing chain, etc. What do you think is causing these problems?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. The low coolant light is typically caused by the level sensor going bad. This is assuming that the car is not losing any coolant. If the car is losing coolant, then the system needs to be pressure tested to find the leak. As for the noise, this is usually caused by a wheel bearing that is starting to fail, or possibly a loose fender well-liner. I usually check the liner first. If it is tight, then I take the braking system apart to check the bearing for any noise. If you want to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the noise and make a repair.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr