Q: Something banging around under the hood

I have a repeat problem with my 2013 Mazda CX-5 that I can’t seem to find a solution to. I only have 7,200 miles on this car, and for the last 2,000 or so there has been a sound coming from the driver side of the engine compartment. It sounds like something is banging around in there, but I got it checked out at the dealership, seeing as the car is so new, and they found nothing. What could be making this noise? I don’t see anything when I look in the engine compartment.

A: Greetings and thank you for writing in with...

Greetings and thank you for writing in with this concern! Without knowing more about the conditions that cause the noise (when, where, how, etc) it is difficult to advise on this concern. Mazda has released a number of Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) for noise related concerns. Depending on the Vehicle Identification Number, the following TSBs could apply to your vehicle: 03-003/14: Groan noise from front wheel hub, 04-002/14: Clunk/bang noise during first movement after sitting, 01-006/13: Unusual engine noise after a cold engine start, 03-002/14: Rattle/chatter noise from rear differential, 02-003/15: Knocking/squeaking noise from front strut bearing, and 02-001/15: Creaking noise from front lower control arm bushings. Contact your local Mazda dealer with the Vehicle Identification Number and explain the noise as best you can. Act quickly as the vehicle should still be covered under warranty (3 years/36,000 miles) and any related repairs should be covered by Mazda.