Q: Sluggish and weighed down in gear

My car has 37,500 km’s on it. When I’m driving it runs good until I let my foot off the gas pedal. Then the car feels very sluggish and weighed down. It’s like the transmission wasn’t letting the car roll on its own. When the car was in neutral and going down a hill it rolled faster, smoother and longer than if the car was in gear. The engine sounded like it was slowing down the car, and I felt the sensation as well. What do you think is wrong with my car?

A: Hello. For that particular model of vehicle...

Hello. For that particular model of vehicle, it would appear that those symptoms are normal. The C55 AMG is equipped with a high compression V8, which is matched with a sporty transmission that will engine brake for you to provide maximum throttle response. One thing you can do is make sure to put the vehicle in "C" mode, which will have smoother shifting than the "S" mode, as "S" mode is programmed for a sportier and therefore harsher response. If you would like to have this scoped out, have a professional that is knowledgeable with the Mercedes AMG series inspect the sluggish performance and advise on a correction.