Q: Shifter slides into neutral w/o using button on shifter and while driving

asked by on August 19, 2017

When driving if I accidentally hit the shifter w/my hand etc. not engaging the button on the shifter, not breaking, simply driving the transmission slips into neutral, is this normal? It'll go back into drive with no issue. I assume the button serves as a clutch similar to a manual transmission vehicle, with that assumption I'm inclined to believe there is an issue with this transmission. Note: The vehicle has a manual option that I have turned off.

This is normal way the shifter works. The button would need to be used to get from neutral to reverse. There is nothing wrong with your vehicle’s shifter.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr