Q: Shaking and stalling during low idling

asked by on May 25, 2016

Hello. My car has around 40,000 miles on it and it's been shutting off recently. It happens suddenly while the car is at low idling. For instance, if I decelerate at the stop light, it would stall in the meanwhile until the light changes. It happened once at the intersection. This is a very dangerous issue as it happens out of the blue. But the pattern is similar. Besides this, the car is idling very low, like 400-600 RPMs and it shakes during idling as if it's not getting enoughh gas. What is causing this and how can I fix it? Thank you in advance.

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

There are no common issues that would cause this problem - especially with the relatively low mileage. I recommend testing the computer for codes causing the stalling you have. If the computer sees the stall, it should set a code and the code can then be diagnosed to find the cause of your stalling. If no codes are received, then you may have a vacuum leak causing the low idle and stalling that a mechanic should be able to find during the diagnosis. If you want to have the issue looked at, get in touch with a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic. They will be able to diagnose your stalling issue and verify what repairs are needed.