Q: Serpentine belt

Recently I have been hearing a squeaking sound coming from the engine as if the serpentine belt needed to be oiled. Eventually the sound grew stronger and even started sounding like something was hitting the fan. Long story short, the truck was idling and the serpentine belt came off. What can/ should I do? What could have caused it come come off? Can I fix it myself or should I utilize a professional? Can one of your mechanics fix this? If so, what would it cost? Thank you!

As you may know, the serpentine belt is the main belt that drives nearly all of the major components of the motor. The belt is tightened and loosened by the use of a tensioner pulley. This pulley can be adjusted to increase or decrease tension on the belt. Sometimes these tend to loosen up creating too much slack in the belt causing them to tear prematurely or simply fall off as is the case with your truck. If you need further assistance, a certified YourMechanic technician can be dispatched to your location to help replace your vehicle’s serpentine belt.