Q: Serp belt broke on my friends car, had belt replaced and now the car will not turn all the way over

So my friends serpentine belt broke on his car the other day and he had it replaced but now the car will not start. It attempts to turn over but will not start. I was thinking maybe it could be he drove it too long with out the belt so he drained the battery completely?? Attempted jumping the vehicle but no luck. Or could it be something more serious such as jumped timing or broken timing chain?? Which would be more likely?? And how could I check??

Hi there - if, in fact, your friend drove the vehicle more than a minute or two, it likely overheated seriously since the serpentine belt drives the water pump, and a blown head gasket resulted. There would have been a drain on the battery as well, but the overheating would have occurred more quickly than draining the battery. Check the coolant level, and engine compression - looking for low compression (more than a 15% variance) between 2 adjacent cylinders. I recommend a no start inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Serp belt broke on my friends car, had belt replaced and now the car will not turn all the way over