Q: Ruined the charcoal canister, can I fix the problem?

asked by on November 06, 2015

The charcoal canister that is part of the emissions system in my 2007 Toyota Tundra is surprisingly expensive to replace. Fuel got into mine and ruined it at only 35,000 miles. I worry that the issue lies with how Toyota mounted this part. Is there any way for me to move it and somehow prevent fuel from getting into the charcoal canister?

Your question as to whether you can move it, I would answer no. I don’t recommend moving it, since it’s designed to work from it’s location. The matter of there being a way to prevent fuel from getting into it is well within your means. The most common reason for fuel entering the canister is to not top off your fuel when filling your tank. Many people see this recommendation and ignore it to get as much fuel in their tank as possible. However when you do this, fuel goes down the vent tube into the canister and can eventually damage it. So, after replacing your charcoal canister, my recommendation is for you to refrain from topping off your tank when you fill up.