Q: Routine fluid changes

My car has about 9500 miles on it, and I only use it for driving normally on roads and sometimes for recreation. I know it’s important to change the transmission and differential fluids earlier rather than later. Am I at the right mileage now to do the fluid changes? I want to make sure I would be doing this at the best time to get out all of the break in crud in the system. I also know that dropping the transmission valve body is important for the first change to clean off the magnets, solenoids and filters. I think I could do this myself with good instruction, but I’m kind of scared. Do you know if it would require Nissan’s Consult to reset any of the codes that might come up during the service? My car is thoroughly stock.

Hello. Due to the way cars are built today, it is not common to have issues or material build up during break in. If anything you can change the fluids within the first 10,000 miles if you are worried about it, but have not once seen an issue with these or any other new cars due to break in.

I definitely would not remove the valve body from the transmission as doing so will void your transmissions warranty. The filtering system in this transmission is more than enough to keep anything from getting in the valve body. If it give you piece of mind, then I would change the fluids, but that is about it.