Q: Reverse no longer works in my car, is possible to fix just that gear or do i have to replace the entire transmission?

I was trying to reverse up hill out of a drive way. The tires just spun and then a load crunch sound and the transmission light turned on. The car no longer goes into reverse. But it will go into drive no problem. Is it possible to just fix that one gear or am I going to have to replace the entire transmission?

You can choose to have your transmission rebuilt, in which case the rebuilder will replace the parts that are broken as well as the parts that usually wear out like clutches and bands. But you have to shop carefully, because it can be very expensive and often it is more economical to buy a new or remanufactured unit. But don’t jump to conclusions until you have it checked out. In some cases there are external repairs that can be done. Contact YourMechanic to have a technician come to your home or office to check out your Nitro and recommend a solution.

3. Reverse no longer works in my car, is possible to fix just that gear or do i have to replace the entire transmission?