Q: Replacing pinion bearing on a 2002 Ford Explorer

My 2002 Ford Explorer is in need of a new pinion bearing. I would like to do this myself but I don't know what I'm doing. You have a video where you replace the entire rear end on a Jeep. Should I do the same on Ford or just replace the differential?

Yes, why not get a used unit? Unfortunately, replacing those pinion things is a very complex and involved job. You need years of experience for a job like this.

Now, sometimes I would take the differential off of a vehicle, and then take it to a transmission shop. They are experts with transmissions and sometimes they will do it for as little as 400 or 500 dollars.

If you take it off and give it to them, and then put it back on yourself, then you can try that if you find people like them. Or you can get in touch with a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to take a look at the transmission and help you make a proper repair. You’ll need to decide if you want to mess with it yourself or whether you want a pro to do the job, because this is a pretty involved job.