Q: Replacing halogen headlights with xenon or LED

My car now has halogen headlights. Would it be a good idea to replace them with LED or Xenon headlights, provided that I get the Mercedes original ones? Would the computer work with the switched Xenon headlights, especially if the computer didn't come originally with the car? Please advise me if I should do this and if I should expect any problems.

The halogen headlights only require that they are plugged into the the proper socket to work. LED or xenon headlights would not work as they would require heavily modifying the lighting system.

LED lights draw much less power than typical lights so special wiring and sockets are used for them. The Xenon headlights require completely different wiring and a ballast or computer to turn on each light. It may be an option with factory equipment from Mercedes but the cost would probably be very high either way. The best solution may to install brighter and whiter halogen bulbs, which are commonly available.

The technicians at YourMechanic are here to answer any questions you may have and replace your headlight bulbs should you choose to go in that direction.