Q: Replacing button lights dashboard

I noticed the other night when my headlights were on that not all of the knobs were lighting up in the climate control system on the dashboard. They were the 3 buttons on the far right – the rear window defogger, air conditioning, mode control and fan speed knob on the left side. I don’t know allot about cars, but I wondered if there was an easy way to fix this such as taking off knobs and replacing the bulbs. Or is it more complicated like removing the dashboard or something like that. Do you have any idea?

Hello. The bulbs cannot usually be replaced individually. In order to fix this problem, the entire control unit will have to be replaced. This does require that the dashboard be removed in order to replace the climate control. A certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, can inspect your dashboard’s electrical circuitry and advise you on a repair if you need further assistance.