Q: Replacement of rear seals

I have a 1994 Itasca motorhome on a GMC frame and chassis. I believe it's a 1 ton chassis. I have had to replace the same rear seal - right rear - 3 times within the last 25000 mi. I have asked the mechanic to have a very good look to determine the cause. It has to be more than faulty seals. He said everything, including the bearing appeared fine. Do you have any thoughts?

Hi there, thanks for writing in. First, check the surface where the seal rides to see if it is damaging the seal. If it is clean, then you may have bad wheel bearings. The main thing when reinstalling the rear hub on the vehicle is to tighten the hub and rotate it several times and tighten it some more. The seal gets damaged if the weight on the bearing crushes the seal if the bearing is too loose. If the issue still occurs, you may want to enlist the help of another local expert to give the vehicle a second inspection. Hope this helps and good luck!

3. Replacement of rear seals