Q: relay clicking behind dash repeatedly, transmission not downshifting and now car will not start anymore. 2001 highlander.

We had vehicle in shop to replace coil that went bad causing car to not run smoothly and also replace radiator and hoses due to a leak. After vehicle got out of shop a relay under dash behind ash tray bottom left of dash started clicking repeatedly and then transmission stopped downshifting. In addition 1 day after got car back another coil cylinder 2 went bad. replaced coild and clicking relay and coild fixed engine from running rough but did not stop relay clicking. new relay still clicks repeatedly and tranny still does not downshift. We just barely made it home from a 10 minute drive and car died in driveway and will no longer start. When it was working i tested by removing this clicking relay and engine would not start either. I swapped relay with original and still no start. engine codes now pull shift solenoid a and b. I am not sure if i should bring back to same shop or bring it somewhere else? Could it just be loose connectors from prior work or tranny issue causing no start?

If the transmission neutral start switch were in the faulty relay circuit, that could cause a no start condition. Faulty shift solenoids would not cause a no start. Your lowest cost option will be a mobile diagnostic and repair. If you want to pursue that, in your circumstance the recommended service is a no start diagnostic. Once the engine is running normally, the very same mechanic would diagnose the shift solenoid issue which could be wiring or circuit related, that is the solenoid itself may function once the circuit is restored. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. relay clicking behind dash repeatedly, transmission not downshifting and now car will not start anymore. 2001 highlander.