Q: Flapping noise when braking

asked by on December 02, 2016

When I brake from speeds over 15 mph the front left side of my car makes a loud flapping noise and the steering wheel shakes. It also makes a quieter flapping noise from the same area when driving over 50 mph. If I turn my wheels to the right when braking it doesn't make any noise and the noise gets worse if I turn my wheels left when braking.

Any idea of what may be broken? We replaced the CV axle because we were told it was causing this, but it made no difference.

Hi there:

It’s highly possible that the source of your front end noise is a faulty or worn out wheel bearing. In most cases when the wheel bearings wear out, the noises are caused by lack of lubrication or metal-to-metal contact. It will make an inconsistent noise like you’re describing when they begin to fail. However, it’s also possible that a warped or bent brake rotor might cause this type of sound as well. It’s best to have a mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is making a noise inspection, so they can inspect your vehicle personally and determine where the noise is coming from.