Q: Recently my 2011 Kia optima ex GDI turbo has begun to decelerate when going uphill. The check engine light has been lit up for a month.

Car has begun to decellerat going up hill. Recently purchased it and was told it has a faulty 02 sensor. 3 days after purchase the engine icon came back on and three weeks later I am encountering this. The service code I received via scanner us telling me a turbo sensor abd knowing nothing of cars I have no idea. Am taking car out of state for Xmas with wife and child and need car to b in perfect working order b4 hitting the road. Obviously the time of year warrants me to bargain shop due to lack of funds after Xmas shopping etc. Any suggestions on the actual problem and cheapest fix?

Hi there. Sounds like the turbo is not functioning correctly. The turbo may have a broken shaft or the intake fans are broke. When the turbo is not working, then the engine will not accelerate properly, especially under a load. For your vehicle, the loaded portion would be with the vehicle going up hill. With the engine off, remove the air intake to the turbo and see if the turbo shaft spins. Also, see if the shaft has excessive play. If the shaft is not spinning or has excessive play, then the turbo needs replaced. It is very easy to seize a turbo, just by shutting down the engine while the turbo is hot. The turbo must cool down for at least 1 minute before shutting down the engine. If you need further assistance with your engine having a loss of power going uphill, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Recently my 2011 Kia optima ex GDI turbo has begun to decelerate when going uphill. The check engine light has been lit up for a month.