Q: Read window cracked all by itself

The rear window in my 2012 Jeep Patriot cracked really violently on its own with nothing hitting it when I parked the car the other day. The cracks have covered the whole thing since then and little pieces have fallen out. I already made an appointment to get it replaced. Will the next one do the same thing? This vehicle has 17,000 miles on it only I am very surprised at this issue.

A: Temperature variations can have an effect o...

Temperature variations can have an effect on glass. However automotive glass is made to withstand very large temperature swings. Aside from an unseen impact point that started the crack, you most likely had a defective window. Hopefully your warranty covered it, if it was deemed defective. As to your question of whether the next one will do the same thing – if it replaced with a higher quality of glass, another shattering would be very unlikely.