Q: Question about performing an engine rebuild

hi if you were to follow those engine rebuild steps roughly how long would it take to finish each steps. like 30mins each or just like 10mins

A: Rebuilding an engine typically requires sen...

Rebuilding an engine typically requires sending out the cylinder block, cylinder heads, crankshaft and so forth to a machine shop for refinishing and repairs. That alone will involve two weeks or more.

If you are rebuilding an engine for the first time and are not familiar with the parts vendors that you will have to deal with in order to get the correct parts, you should allot at least one to two months for the job and that does not include the engine removal and re-installation time.

Add to that the reality that if the engine has, say, 200,000 miles and the transmission has the same mileage, you really have to rebuild the transmission at the same time as the engine (both often come out together), otherwise you will almost undoubtedly get to remove the engine/transmission again in a year when the transmission finally wears out.

If you run into any issues along the way, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to you to diagnose and service your vehicle.