Q: put in reverse then drive sounds like your hitting tin can

asked by on December 22, 2016

Only does this ehen putting in reverse and drive Sounds like your taking a pencil and hitting a tin can Had new front tires put on a month ago started hearing this two wks ago.drives fine but twice i noticed was not picking up. Not doing that now just that cluck noise

Most commonly, the sound you’re hearing comes from an exhaust heat shield. It sounds like rocks in a coffee can as some describe it. Exhaust heat shields can be on a catalytic converter, front pipe, or other component of the exhaust system. They usually consist of two pieces spot-welded together. With age, the spot welds can rust away. This makes the two pieces of the heat shield rattle together. It can be in certain gears, at certain speeds, only at idle, etc. It can be completely random. This is the most common cause but there can be other causes under hood as well. A loose bracket or pulley for example.

Have a certified technician look into the rattling sound to isolate the cause.