Q: Problems with gear shifting and transmission

I have noticed that my car is taking longer to shift from park into reverse. I had no problems before that started happening. Then I noticed that I started to have trouble with accelerating. The car would jolt from one gear to the next, rather than smoothly like before. I know that I wasn't pushing the car and slamming the gas, just accelerating normally. Also, on occasion when braking, the car would jump out of the gear, rather than shifting smoothly. I took it to the dealership and they tested it, without my being present, and they said that there was no problem, but that they reset the way the car responds to my driving (I don't know what he called it). But, this didn't help. I am frustrated because the two cars I owned before this were way more reliable and I'm starting to regret having purchased this car. It is good in all other ways. What can I do about the shifting problem?

It is possible that you could have a worn out transmission mount. The transmission mount is what connects the transmission to the body of the vehicle.

The transmission will normally have some movement when it is shifting. The mount is made of rubber and is able to absorb this shock from the transmission moving while shifting. If the rubber part of the transmission mount is no longer able to perform its intended purpose, then the movement from the transmission while shifting will be able to transfer through the body of the vehicle and be felt by the driver. I would recommend having a certified mechanic inspect your shifting issue, and take a look at your transmission mount to make sure it is functioning properly. If not, a transmission mount replacement should be fairly stress free, as most only take an hour or two to replace.