2008 Ford Taurus X noise on start up v6-3.5l 2008 ford ta...

Q: 2008 Ford Taurus X noise on start up

asked by on September 07, 2017

Upon starting up its delayed and has I weird noise. This just started happening. When I took it to AAA they said the battery and alternator were testing fine. However when I went back to the car I didn't have the issue again. Then, it came back later. Oil change isn't due. Up to date on maintenance. I have a video of I can send that to someone I think that will help. And after it finally start the gauge needles on the dashboard all shake for 30sec then read. Something that was automatic.

There are many potential causes for your concern. One common problem with late model Ford V6 engines is that the timing chains stretch. This can cause noise on start up, since it takes a few seconds for oil to fill the tensioners. The timing chain actuators can also cause noise. However, the way you describe the gauges bouncing all over for 30 seconds, makes me thing the problem may be something more severe. I recommend having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your engine noise firsthand.