Q: Problem with battery light

Hello Patrick, i have a 2015 Dodge Dart and I am having problems with it. About a month ago i was driving out of a walmart parking and the exit was steep. I accelerated guickly to avoid traffic. Once i got into the sams parking lot accross the street the battery light came on and the car fell dead. The lights, radio, and a/c were still on but when i mased the gas the car wouldn't move.

Recently for the past couple of days, every trip i've take has been the same result. When i would stop after driving about 20 mph the car would fall dead. I went to auto zone and they told me the starter may be bad. Does this sound like a starter problem?

Hi there. If you went to the auto parts store and they completed a scan and indicated a starter problem, then it is quite likely that the starter is NOT the problem. The procedure these companies use to diagnose a mechanical problem is to scan the vehicle for OBD-II trouble codes, which are stored in the ECU of a vehicle. However, unlike a professional mechanic, their inspection will link an error code with a component failure; since they are in the business of - selling replacement auto parts. An error code is often linked with a system as opposed to one particular component. For example, the P0562 trouble code indicates low voltage to the powertrain control module, but does not mean the PCM or battery is the source. There are more than 4 different components that supply power to the PCM, including alternator, charging cables, electrical relays and fuses - any one of which could be the source of that particular issue. The best way to correctly diagnose your Dart problem is to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a car starts then dies inspection, so they can diagnose the symptom and determine what is causing the problem.

3. Problem with battery light