Q: Prius is entering its second decade -- what to watch out for?

asked by on August 18, 2016

I've had my 2006 Prius for over 10 years now and (touch wood) it's been very reliable. Now that it's entering it's second decade of life, what should I watch out for? I've heard many people mention the battery. Would be great to understand more about that. Anything else to keep an eye on? Many thanks, Jim.

The battery is a lithium battery just like the rechargeable batteries you buy except better quality. The warranty on the battery is 8 year 80,000 mile warranty on most years of the Prius. The replacement battery may be coming down a little in price but still can be anywhere from 2 to 3 thousand dollars to replace it when it goes bad. Most of the time the battery will get weaker and weaker and you will notice this as a loss of fuel mileage over time. Other than that, stay on your scheduled maintenance, and consider YourMechanic if you come across any issues with your Prius along the way.