Q: power steering pump replacement

I need to have a power steering replaced because it's leaking power steering fluid. Would it be cheaper to rebuild or repair power steering pump versus buying a new one?

A: Hi there. Back in the day, it was cheaper t...

Hi there. Back in the day, it was cheaper to rebuild a power steering pump so long as it did not run low on fluid and become noisy. Today, aftermarket pumps are relatively cheaper and reliable. With the age and mileage on your vehicle, there may be internal pump damage that may not be obvious until after the rebuild. If this occurs, you’re out the money on parts and labor for the rebuild. However, if a new pump is faulty, then it generally comes with a warranty. Your Mechanic offers a 12 month 12,000 mile nationwide warranty on repairs; parts provided by Your Mechanic. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts and possibly uncover any unnoticed leaks that would lead to new pump failure. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with power steering fluid is leaking inspection and a power steering pump replacement.