Q: Power steering

My power steering is messed up. I can't tell if its the pump though. I noticed that it makes a loud whinning noise when I turn. Not all the time though. The car has to be running for a while. Ill check the fluid level and it will be down. Not all the way but more down. The one time I went to refill and after I did it all bubble and came back up so the it overflowed. Also my power steering will go out. If u can give me advise and point in the right direction that would be appreciated. I think it might be the pump but I want to makr sure

Hi there:

In most cases, as the power steering pump goes - so does the entire system. If you’re power steering is making squealing noises as you turn, that’s typically an indication that the power steering belt (drive belt or serpentine) or the pulley is loose. However, having difficulty steering or noticing bubbles in the power steering fluid canister is also an indicator of a loose power steering line; which allows air to enter the system. It might be a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete a power steering system inspection before you decide to buy and replace the power steering pump; just to be certain.