Q: Power door modulator vs. door actuator 2012 Porsche Cayenne

About a year ago my driver side passenger door lock stopped working. When I unlocked all doors (via the key fob and inside control) all doors would unlock except for this door. If I locked all doors, the door would lock. Unlocking was just the issue. Car was serviced and the door modulator and wiring harness were replaced.

Fast forward to present

SAME door (driver side passenger door) is not locking at all now. Took car in and I was told that the door actuator needed to be replaced. I said, "was this not already replaced?. Answer was "no, this is a separate issue. We replaced the modulator but not the actuator."

Does this sound right to you? I thought the modulator would have included the actuator.

Thank you so much - I want to make sure I am not being taken advantage.

Meredith

Hi there - the Porsche dealer parts diagrams actually list a "door lock" mechanism, and a "driving mechanism" for the door lock. I would take my old receipt (which should have part numbers as well as description) with me, and ask them to show my the diagram and parts numbers of each component. These are complex, and expensive mechanisms, and seem to fail rather too often. I believe there are actually 2 parts here, and hard to know without looking at the receipt what they changed the first time. For trusted 3rd-party assistance, I recommend a door won’t open inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Power door modulator vs. door actuator 2012 Porsche Cayenne