Q: Overfilled oil

asked by on October 07, 2016

I went to a major dealer to get the oil changed. About five days later I was driving on the highway and lost power. I pulled over to check it out and the oil was about 1 1/2 to 2 inches over the full mark. I brought it back to them and they drained the extra oil out, said they did not drain much and that the points on their guns were off. I asked the manager if it would do damage to the engine and he said no. The manager then sent me a letter apologizing for not meeting customer expectations and a gift card for $25. The truck was hesitating and wanted to die during acceleration. There is smoke and liquid coming out of the tailpipe. The oil now has gas in it. The air filer and carburetor are full of oil. I am assuming oil got into the combustion chamber? Should I go back to where I got the oil changed and give them a chance to fix it or should I consult a lawyer?

I would recommend taking the vehicle back to the service facility that changed your oil and giving them a chance to resolve the issue. This service should no doubt be free of charge since it was no fault of yours that this happened to your vehicle. It sounds like the engine was filled up all the way to the top if oil is in the carburetor. It may require a lot of work to resolve this issue. The worst case scenario would be a total engine rebuild and a new carburetor. If the shop gives you any grief about this repair, I would then consult with an attorney.