Q: "Engine Power is Reduced" message after which car slows down

My car completely shut down and several warning lights started flashing. The ones I remember are the "Reduced Engine Power" and "Service Traction Control." What should I do?

A: Your vehicle is equipped with a fail-safe s...

Your vehicle is equipped with a fail-safe system that is designed to decrease the engine power under certain conditions to prevent engine damage. Some of these conditions would include transmission malfunctions, engine overheating, or a lack of response from an important part of the engine’s electrical system.

The first step in diagnosing this issue would be to have a certified technician check for trouble codes with an OBD2 scanner to lead him/her in the right direction. It would be nearly impossible to diagnose this issue without trouble codes, and based on the symptoms explained, a trouble code would almost certainly be stored.