Q: Opinion and comparison of V6 and 4-cylinder engines

Do V6 cars run smoother shifts in general than 4-cylinders? My Ford doesn't run smooth shifts versus a Ford Taurus. To your expectations--do 4-cylinder cars shift better and harder on throttle than a Grandpa cruising speed?

Yes, they do shift slightly better because they knew that people are going to drive the little 4 cylinders hard. They actually do shift better when you give them a lot of throttle because the computers are set up that way. When you drive more lightly, they are not quite as good. They assumed people are going to drive these harder.

V6’s typically are just as smooth of an engine design. That’s one of the reasons that most vehicles these days that have V sets, have V6 engines in them instead of straight sets. When I was a kid, they mainly had straight 6-cylinder engines, and they aren’t nearly as smooth as a V6. The V just has a smoother design. And V-shaped engines also put more torque and horsepower than the straight designs.

3. Opinion and comparison of V6 and 4-cylinder engines