Q: Oil Viscosity

I purchased a used Avalon. My mechanic, who only works on Toyotas, changed the oil using 10W30. The car specs for 5W30. He said he uses 10W30 on all his oil changes. I want to start doing my own oil changes. Should I revert back to 5W30 (which I'm sure the previous owner used) or continue with 10W30. Is any harm being done to the engine? I live in New Jersey.

Toyota’s technical advice insofar as oil viscosity for the 2007 Avalon is as follows: "SAE 5W−30 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If SAE 5W−30 is not available, SAE 10W−30 may be used. However, it should be replaced with SAE 5W−30 at the next oil change." Although 10W-30 oil is not recommended by Toyota that viscosity will not damage your engine. If you desire that this maintenance be performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine oil/filter change and the responding mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.