Q: Oil pressure light and grinding noise on startup

Had an oil and filter change just four days ago and the car drove fine but now it won't start (it will turn on and the radio and lights and everything else works) but it makes this grinding noise and doesn't start up. And the oil light has popped up on the dash. What would be the cause if the oil was just changed?

A: Hi there. Assuming, the engine is not turni...

Hi there. Assuming, the engine is not turning over. The grinding noise you hear may be the starter drive gear failing.

The oil light popped up on the dash with the engine not running would be considered normal. If you see the oil light pop up with the engine running, then this would be a concern. Either way, to be safe, the oil level should be checked.

I recommend having your vehicle’s grinding noise on startup inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, for a precise diagnosis and repair.

Recommended services
Get a Quote