Q: Oil pressure gauge goes up when accelerating

asked by on June 16, 2017

I just bought the vehicle 2 days ago this yesterday I started it up, and it was a little above normal. I didn't pay attention to it cause I have a 1985 Ford F150, its oil pressure always move and I guess I'm just used to it. this morning I was passing a car looked down and the gauge would go up when passing. could you give me some insight on this please. thank you

Hi There, This is completely normal for the oil pressure to increase when accelerating. The oil pressure inside the motor increases as the motor works harder. Your oil pressure switch reads this change in pressure and relays this to the oil pressure gauge. If the fluctuation is extremely erratic, you may have a faulty oil pressure sensor which may also be the cause if it fluctuates too much. I would suggest having one of our experts here at YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.