Q: Oil light on and dinging sound, oil is a quart low, engine running good

oil light on and dings, just started tonight , no clicking or whirling ,engine runs good,oil is a quart low, went over on oil change just a little about 250 miles

A: If you can, then top off the oil from being...

If you can, then top off the oil from being low. If the light does not go out, then see if you hear any abnormal engine noise. If the engine is making a rattling or any other abnormal noise then shut it down and call for help.

Do not run the engine if you hear any noise. If the engine is quiet then you may have a problem with the oil pressure sending unit and would need to have the oil pressure checked and the pressure sensor replaced if the pressure tests okay. The safest thing to do would be to have a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come and diagnose the oil light for you. They will be able to add oil to your system and make any other repairs if needed.