Q: Oil consumption 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

asked by on February 08, 2018

So I changed the oil on my car back in June 2017 which had about 4,000 miles on the oil. I was about 2 quarts low! A month later, my PCV valve started leaking and was making a terrible sound when the engine heated up. I don't know if it was leaking before and just not making any noise.. Anyways, I drove about 500 miles before getting it replaced. Fast forward to now, I changed my oil again which I've only gone 3,200 miles on the oil and I took out 7 quarts of oil but I originally put in 8.5 quarts. My car shows no signs of burning oil, the exhaust pipes aren't oily and it doesn't smoke and it also has no leaks. Reading online says the PCV would cause seals and gaskets to leak but I don't see any leaks. Does this sound like it was because of the leaking PCV? Or does this sound like another problem? I have another Range Rover thats older its a 2008 and has more miles at 121,000 and it doesn't use any oil. Thank you!

If there is a problem in the PCV, you will have oil consumption, especially on turbocharged cars. All the crankcase ventilation passages must be clear including the baffles in the valve covers, otherwise pressure will build up in the crankcase and the oil going to the turbocharger will go out through the turbo seal instead of returning to the engine. If you decide you want to have this checked out by a pro, contact YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Range Rover and let you know what needs to be done.