Q: OIL CHANGE PROBLEM - 2009 PONTIAC G6 V6 3.5L

asked by on December 22, 2016

After the car was warm from driving for about an hour I completely emptied the oil, changed the filter, and refilled the car with 4 quarts of oil. I drove it a few blocks then checked the oil level and it was perfect. The next day after driving about a half hour oil is now showing extremely high on the dipstick. This happened last time I changed the oil as well. Any ideas why? The book says 4 quarts is the correct amount. Should I take some oil out? If so it would have less than 4 quarts... Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement $88.87 - $220.77 Get a Quote

Hi There, There are a few different possibilities at play here. Your oil pump has a pressure relief valve that can sometimes get stuck and cause the oil pressure to remain higher than normal for an extended period of time. The other possibility may be a slightly different viscosity of oil may have been used which can increase oil pressure. Lastly, you may have a malfunctioning oil pressure sending unit which may simply providing false readings. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your car to narrow down what may be causing such high oil pressure.