Q: oil change frequency

My truck is just short of 8000 miles. I did the very first oil change at about 4500 miles. The next one was planned for the 10,000 mile mark, and every 5000 after that - like normal. But as soon as I hit 7500, my truck's dash is telling me I need another oil change. Is my truck basing this on oil life, or just milage? I don't know if the dealership that did the last oil change reset the counters or not. Do I need to do another oil change, or can I just reset this thing and wait until I had planned at 10,000? I have a long trip on the highway tomorrow, and I wanted to double check.

The oil change interval in the oil change monitor was set to 7500 mile intervals by the factory. You can just reset it, but it will continue to go off every 7500 miles. This is just an alert, not an indication of a problem with your oil. This can be reset to come on every 5000 miles if you’d prefer that, just follow the owners manual to reset it. If you need any assistance with oil or filter servicing, consider help from a certified technician.

3. oil change frequency