Q: Odometer reads just all dashes, main and trip the same. All other gauges seem to work.

asked by on March 06, 2017

Odometer readout all dashes. This just happened. Other gauges seem to work OK. Have the service engine soon message on and two audi service places have tried to get rid of that but say it won't go away. Talked with audi dealers about the odometer and they think its the cluster, but others tell me it might be the computer that feeds the cluster!

Speedometer is not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. To be honest, both sources of information are correct. Usually when the odometer "blanks" like you’ve described it is caused by either an instrument cluster wiring or electrical problem or the ECU having a stored trouble or error code that triggers this fault. It can also be caused by a damaged transmission speed sensor or wheel sensor as well, as those provide data that activates the odometer. In order to correctly diagnose this problem, it is probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an odometer / speedometer is not working inspection.