Q: Odd sound on start up

I've noticed that whenever I start my engine there is an odd grinding / shearing sound for about a second. It sounds very similar to Startup 1 in this video. It only happens on cold starts. I tried starting my car after I got home yesterday and didn't hear the noise. From what I've been able to find, it seems to be related to the timing chain, but I'd love to hear your thoughts and input as to what other possibilities it could be. Would you also be able to give me estimates / quotes for the various repairs that could solve it as I know it's best to tackle this early before more serious damage occurs. The other day when I was leaving for work I heard an odd grind when I was backing out of my parking spot, but I don't believe this to be related.

A: Another possibility that is quite common on...

Another possibility that is quite common on the Infiniti G35 is the ABS self checking function. This creates somewhat of a grinding sound that sounds similar and some are louder than others. This may be something best diagnosed by listening to it in person.

If the timing chain had enough slack in it to create this kind of sound, you would have likely already experienced much more catastrophic problems (i.e. a bent valve or worse).

I would suggest not driving or starting it until you have it looked a by a qualified mechanic, such as one from Your Mechanic. One of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose the sound in order to pinpoint what’s at fault.