Q: Occasional problems with starting the truck

Hello. My truck has gone 78,000 miles. I had some parts replaced on it at the dealership a while ago. After that, the truck developed difficulties starting, which happen occasionally. So, the truck would start fine and run fine for a period and then for no obvious reason, starts having startup problems. When it wouldn't start, I would have to put the key into ignition and turn it on and off for several minutes. Then, the truck would start cranking again. Do you have any idea what could cause this? Thanks.

Toyota Tacomas are notorious for ignition switch issues, or it’s possible a starter issue. Taking a voltage check at the starter while cranking will let you know if the issue lies in the starting circuit or the starter itself. Be very careful if you try this voltage check as serious injury can occur if the system arcs to ground while taking this measurement.

You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the tools and expertise to safely diagnose and correct issues in the starting system.

3. Occasional problems with starting the truck