Q: No power and smells of raw gasoline

It's sputtering and smells of raw gasoline, has no power. Hard to start, engine light is on.

A: From what you describe it would appear th...

Hello.

From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle is running excessively rich. That is there is too much fuel being delivered to the engine and it is causing problems. A rich condition can be caused by a wide variety of issues. A few common causes are issues with the vehicle’s fuel, ignition, or engine management systems.

The first thing I would do is check the vehicle’s fuel system. It may be possible that the fuel pump or pressure regulator have failed, and is delivering excessive fuel pressure, or that one or more of the injectors is leaking fuel.

If the fuel system checks out I would move on to the engine management and ignition systems. It may be possible that one or more of the components from either of these systems has failed. A faulty ignition coil, or coils, MAF sensor, or temperature sensor can all cause a rich condition. I would start with checking the vehicle’s fuel pressure, and going from there.

If you need help with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come diagnose your loss of power and other symptoms firsthand to get your car running normally again.