Q: New starter, solenoid, and voltage regulator but starter just spins and doesn't crank the flywheel

asked by on December 13, 2016

Just replaced the starter, solenoid, and voltage regulator. I turn the key and hear the starter engage but it just spins and doesn't catch onto the fly wheel. It's on there nice and tight but it won't crank over. Is there a fix for this, I heard something about putting it in gear while it's moving but there has to be a better way.

If you hear the starter engage but does not turn the motor the flywheel on the engine may have missing teeth. The starter also may have a a bad drive then will not turn the motor. The starter will have to be removed and then look at teeth on flywheel to see of they are broken or worn off. If they are then the ring gear will need to be replace.