Q: Need to replace variable timing solenoid

My car's Check Engine light came on. The diagnosis was that I needed to replace my engine's variable timing solenoid. I am not sure if I need to replace just the valve, or if I need to replace the entire solenoid.

The first thing you need to check is oil level and quality. The Variable Valve Timing on your engine relies on proper oil level and quality. Low levels or dirty oil can throw this code as well as component failure. If both are good, the solenoid could be the cause. It is difficult to determine if the valve itself is bad since it is controlled by the solenoid. I would recommend have a certified mechanic diagnose your Check Engine Light and replace your Variable Valve Timing Solenoid.

3. Need to replace variable timing solenoid