Q: What causes my truck to die when I take my foot off the gas pedal while in a turn?

Truck dieing when let up in a turn

A: Hi and thanks for contacting Your Mechanic....

Hi and thanks for contacting Your Mechanic. What seems to be happening is the idle air control valve (IAC) is not working. This valve controls the idle of the engine when the gas pedal and the throttle position sensor is registering a zero feed back to the computer, meaning the engine is no longer taking in air. If the valve gets stuck or stops working, then the engine will stall out after a heavy throttle engagement. If the IAC is working correctly, then check the engine for any vacuum lines that could have been broken or came off to the engine. A vacuum leak will cause an engine to stall out during a idle conditions. If the vacuum lines are in good shape, then check the mass air flow sensor (MAF) to see if its dirty or oily. If the sensor is dirty, you can try cleaning it first with electrical cleaner. Unplug the MAF and see if the engine acts up or dies. If nothing happens, then the MAF needs replaced. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can assist you with your engine stalling during turns.